Sunday, September 7, 2014

Week 47: "Touched" in Many Ways

New missionaries
As I pondered this week and what I would write about, there was not one particular event that stood out. --although it was a busy week because of transfers.

There were, however, several "small and simple things" that touched my heart and made an impression on me.

I was touched (as I often am) by these amazing young missionaries we serve with. The new ones arrive with a little nervousness as they're not sure what to expect. What will their first companion be like? Where will they be assigned? But they're also eager to learn and get to work.

Departing missionaries at the Temple
I was particularly touched by testimonies shared by the departing missionaries. They bear powerful testimonies of the Savior and His Atonement and how they have come to know Him. They share how a mission has changed them for good. I was touched by statements like:
 -- "It's hip to be square. It is good to have boundaries, corners, and lines that keep us where we need to be." 
 -- "Write down who and what you want to be and be it." 
 -- "The WATAC is where my heart is. This is the place where I have come to know the Savior, to trust God, to love. God has taken weaknesses and turned them into glorious outcomes. Here I have seen the grace of Jesus Christ." 
-- "It will break my heart to have to take my missionary tag off. But we need to remember that a name tag doesn’t make you a missionary."
-- "For 18 months or 2 years you get to do everything your parents told you not to do: talk to strangers, and accept food from them."
--"Who you are is defined by how much you love the Savior, how much you trust and believe in Him."
-- "Obedience is not something that should be mocked because it makes us become more like the Savior. " 
-- "Last week at the Temple, I was praying, asking the Lord to please accept my mission. The answer I got was, “You are not done.” I will continue to spread the gospel. "

Elder Walkenhorst in middle
It was "touching" to be with the missionaries for a minute at a Labor Day BBQ held at the Mission Home. We got to see Elder Walkenhorst. He comes from Kamas. His mother and I went to school together. We are impressed and touched by his desire to serve.

I was touched in Sacrament Meeting today when I noticed tears streaming down the face of a recently baptized woman as we sang Nearer My God to Thee.

I was touched by a lesson on agency taught by the two missionaries serving in our ward. I was reminded that I may have learned to choose good over evil, but I can make better use of my agency by learning to choose "best" over "better" or "good."

And in Relief Society we talked about keeping covenants. I was touched by the teacher's challenge to us that we try to look at life's events, challenges, and decisions through the lens of covenants we have made.

It came time for Devan to "retire" his car (a 1998 Buick LeSabre fondly named Katinka Ingabogovinanana) and buy a new one. I was touched this week when he said he had a tear in his eye as they took Katinka away. He and that car have been through a lot together. It used to belong to my mother. Perhaps when she died, part of Katinka died, too?

Selfie at the Temple
My spirit was touched and renewed as we attended a session at the Seattle Temple. A bonus was getting to see four of our Sister missionaries who were there with converts doing baptisms. One of those was Sister Jenkins from Vernal. We weren't able to get a photo, but it sure was good to see her. She says to tell her family she loves them. I am touched by her sacrifice and faithful service.  

We ran into her again at the nearby Deseret Book store and Sister Jenkins said that this Greg Olson painting entitled Worlds Without End was one of her favorites.  I am grateful she pointed this one out to me. I think it will be one of my favorites, too.  Thanks Whitney.

Worlds Without End by Greg Olsen
I am always deeply touched when I take time to notice and appreciate this beautiful world. I like how Alma says it: "..yea and all things denote there is a God; yea, even the earth, and all things that are upon the face of it, yea, and its motion, yea, and also all the planets which move in their regular form do witness that there is a Supreme Creator." (Alma 30:44)

Truly we have a Father in Heaven who loves us very much. I am touched and overwhelmed by His goodness, patience, long-suffering and mercy. We have been touched and blessed by so many of you who have extended your love and support in recent weeks. Thanks for "keeping in touch" with us. God bless you. And may you all keep in touch with God.


No comments:

Post a Comment