Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Week 22: Daylight Savings -- Saving Light



Disclaimer: The week was "routine", but the weekend was busy -- Stake Conference meetings and another missionary fireside on Sunday. We got back late that night and then Monday and Tuesday have been busy at the office so I am just getting to the blog.

Like it or not, we (like everyone else) moved our clocks ahead one hour and lost an hour of sleep. And though it’s darker in the morning, we gained an hour of daylight on the other end. This is such a welcome blessing to missionaries who are out “finding and teaching” every night from 5-9 p.m. We worry about the safety of our missionaries – especially when it’s dark outside.



In Utah, the weatherman refers to “mostly sunny” days with a possibility of “scattered showers.” Here it’s “mostly rainy” with a possibility “scattered sunshine.” And they call blue skies “sun breaks."

Well, back to the term “Daylight Savings.” I’ve been giving that a little extra thought. How appropriate that daylight is connected to "saving." Light Saves. Jesus is the “light of the world.” He saves us. He said, “he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life.” (John 8:12).

Consider these references to the Savior and light:
   I will be a light unto them forever;” (2 Nephi 10:14)
   I am the law, and the light: (3 Nephi 15:9)
   I am the light which ye shall hold up (3 Nephi 18:24)
   I am the light, the life, and the truth (Ether 4:12)
   I am the light which shineth in darkness (D&C 6:21)
   Truth is light, and whatsoever is light is Spirit, even the Spirit of Jesus Christ (D&C 84:45)
   The Lord is my light and my salvation;” (Psalms 27:1)

And in our Stake Conference this weekend, we “happened” to sing “Our Savior’s Love” (Hymn #113):
Our Savior’s love
Shines like the sun with perfect light
As from above
It breaks thru clouds of strife,
Lighting our way,
It leads us back into his sight,
Where we may stay
To share eternal life.

I will forever look at Daylight Savings in a different light (no pun intended). And no matter what the “weather of the world” holds,  I can always count on the Light of Christ. "The Lord is my light and my salvation" (Psalms 27:1) “He is the light, the life, and the hope of the world. His way is the path that leads to happiness in this life and eternal life in the world to come. “(The Living Christ)

May everyone have a deLIGHTful week. May your life be filled with "light" in every sense of the word, particularly the light and illumination of Jesus Christ and His Gospel. That is all. Amen

1 comment: