Sunday, December 1, 2013

Week 8: T & G: Thanks, Giving, Temple, Grandma

It's been a bit of a rough week, but one of growth as well.  Not much to report from the mission though I did have a bit of a personal missionary experience.  While standing in a long line at Walmart, I took the opportunity to strike up a conversation with the woman behind me.  Ended up giving her a card inviting her to the Festival of the Nativity that will be held at the Stake Center here next week.  It felt good to do that, and it wasn't hard at all.  Hoping for more experiences to share the "good news" of the gospel.

Thanksgiving is one of our most very favorite times of the year.  Probably because it’s a time for family to gather and just enjoy one another and enjoy good food – a simple and peaceful time.  We certainly missed being with our family, but we were so grateful that they made an effort to all be together at Meagan's home. We enjoyed talking with (and seeing) them via Facetime that day.  We got together with President & Sister Weaver and two other couples -- the Harwoods and the Trotters -- and had dinner at the mission home.  Each of us contributed to the meal so it wasn't a burden on anyone.  I'd hoped to include a photo, but they didn't turn out.  So ... use your imagination -- all of us there in our missionary attire enjoying a delicious meal.

 Just want to share one thought on Thanksgiving -- borrowed from The Spoken Word:
“True gratitude manifests itself in how we choose to give to others.  When we truly feel grateful we feel a compelling desire to help other people.  Perhaps that is why “Thanks” and “Giving” so often go together.  Real gratitude inspires us to think and do for others. Life is so much more meaningful when we choose to live in thanks and giving daily.”

On Saturday, we, and eight other couples, went to the Seattle Temple.  It's about 40 miles away in a beautiful setting.  We miss not being able to attend the temple weekly, so this was a real treat, giving solace to our souls. Again, I had hoped to include a photo, but the camera's battery was dead when I attempted a photo at the temple.

Berneice Frazier McCormick
So, this week's photos will be of my Grandmother, Berneice Frazier McCormick.  She was born on 1 December 1913 -- 100 years ago today.  I wish to honor her and express gratitude for the great impact she has had on my life.  She is part of many delightful, warm, happy childhood memories.  I remember her for her love of working in the flower garden, making holidays special, and quibbling sweetly with Mom over who was going to pay for lunch when we went to the city.  Grandma always "won" by saying something like: "Let me do it while I can." I remember her kind and gentle nature.  (Wow, that didn't rub off).  
Cousin Robert, me, cousin Kathryn, with Grandma

She will especially be remembered for her good cooking.  No one could make fried chicken like Grandma -- no one.  And then there were the Raisin Nut Nibbles, Texas Brownies, amazing pies, homemade noodle soup .... the list goes on and on.  She was always cooking and sharing. (The tradition continues with my mother)  You couldn't go visit her without her offering you something to eat.  And she wouldn't take "no" or "no thanks" for an answer.  Then as she fed you, she'd urge you on with: "now don't weaken." 

Some of the family gathered in Grandma's backyard in 1982
Well, I could go on and on, but I will remember her most for the way she made me feel -- loved, important, and special. Thanks Grandma (Grandma Great to some) for everything.  Thanks for Giving your family a grand legacy to honor and hopefully follow. I love you forever.

And thanks for raising a wonderful daughter, my mother, whose birthday we will celebrate this week on December 5. 

In honor of them both, I think I'll go make some cookies to share tomorrow.  



No comments:

Post a Comment