Sunday, January 18, 2015

Week 66: Reminder to Self: "Will the promised blessings be fulfilled?"

Appetizer
Another week in the WATAC. Things are mostly good. We have been dealing with head colds, but nothing serious. Because of "drier" and warmer weather the first part of the week, Elder Hadlock's joints felt better.

One night this week we enjoyed a lovely dinner with the Blatters and Harwoods at Anthony's, a nice restaurant at Point Defiance. The appetizer was kind of cool, thus the photo. It's a rosemary cracker topped with garlic mashed potatoes and a lovely piece of salmon.

The other photos were taken at the local YMCA. We try to get there a few nights each week and on Saturday mornings. Elder Hadlock is more dedicated than I. He likes to ride the bikes. I'll ride for a bit, but can't stay in one place for long so I go upstairs to use the track. It's a great facility.
Elder Hadlock's workout

Pretty typical week at the office. Elder Hadlock sold another car this week. We got a new mini-van in and now have the older mini-van to get ready for sale.

What Elder Hadlock watches during workout
Looks like our missionary numbers are going to level out a bit. We haven't had very many new missionaries show up on our radar for April and May.

Sis Hadlock's workout -- guess which lane I use?
We feel like things are kind of winding down. We think there is a couple in the "pipeline" who will be able to replace us. Hopefully they'll be able to come mid-March so we can train them before we leave in April.

I think I'll close with some thoughts from a talk given by Elder Carlos A. Godoy in October General Conference. This is the talk that stuck out in my reading this week.  I'm sure many have read it. This will not be anything new to you. But, by my mentioning it here, it will serve as a reminder to myself of something that gave me food for thought all week. I want to remember these principles.

He poses this question: "If you continue to live as you are living, will the promised blessings be fulfilled?" He was  referring to patriarchal blessings, but it could apply to any promised blessing. He also talked about keeping the end in mind when we make decisions. "If we project the possible consequences of these decisions into the future, we can see with greater clarity the best path to take in the present." 

He also asked, "Are we prepared to leave our comfort zones to reach a better place? ... We are not here in this life just to waste our time, grow old, and die. God wants us to grow and achieve our potential. In the words of President Thomas S. Monson: 'Each of you, single or married, regardless of age, has the opportunity to learn and to grow. Expand your knowledge, both intellectual and spiritual, to the full stature of your divine potential.'"

Reminds me of another of my favorite quotes (this is attributed to several authors here's my version):

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, 'Woo Hoo", what a ride! --

I think I want to also slide in with a bowl of buttered popcorn in one hand (maybe some dark chocolate in the other?) -- So ... guess where I'm headed? ........ to read my patriarchal blessing ..... while eating popcorn!

NOTE:  Sam just reminded me that tomorrow is National Popcorn Day!



No comments:

Post a Comment