Sunday, October 5, 2014

Week 51: Simple Truths from God and His Prophets


Elder & Sister Petersen
Relatively "normal" week at the office for me. Elder Hadlock seems to have had a "rash" of fender benders and the like lately.

On Friday, we took an Elder and a Sister to the airport who have been here a few weeks while waiting for their visas. The visas came Thursday and off they went Friday to Taipei, Taiwan.
Elder Steed and Elder Johnsen

Also enjoyed dinner at BJ's with the Harwoods and Petersens Friday night.

General Conference was the highlight of the week, of course. We were able to watch from our apartment by streaming through BYU TV internet. We had a recently baptized member join us for Saturday afternoon's session and then dinner afterward. It was fun to make chili, homemade bread, and bake a cake for the occasion. Conference and food -- some of life's simple pleasures.

The AP's joined us for dinner between sessions on Sunday. Again, it was good to be able to fix a roast, and all the fixin's for some hungry Elders. Then we went to the Stake Center for the last session.

Lest one think that I spent the weekend in the kitchen, .... I actually  did watch Conference. Did a little tatting though to help me stay awake! (Thanks Nena Caldwell for being a patient teacher) And during the Priesthood session I worked on a jigsaw puzzle of Mount Rainer.

Believe it or not, I managed to take a few notes, too. There were some messages that were just for me. Not enough time or space to review my favorites. It would be fun to have a  "post-Conference" review with family and friends to discuss what each liked and learned. May have to make some phone calls!

We did get to participate in a fun discussion Sunday night though. Some Sister missionaries invited us to a Book of Mormon Book Club. In attendance were the Sisters, two Elders, a couple of members  a a couple of investigators. We discussed 2 Nephi 4. Verses 15-35, often referred to as Nephi's Psalm, are some of my favorite. It was fun to review this chapter again.

I must say that there is simply a distinct, sweet, comforting spirit that accompanies the Book of Mormon. Elder Hadlock and I accepted President Blatter's challenge to read the Book of Mormon by year's end. It's blessing our lives in simple, but noticeable ways.

It has been a simple, but simply nice week. Hearing and reading the words of God just make life more enjoyable.  Life really gets good though when I give heed to those words.

May I close by quoting a verse from Nephi that had particular impact this week: "May the gates of hell be shut continually before me, because that my heart is broken and my spirit is contrite! O Lord, wilth thou not shut the gates of thy righteousness before me, that I may walk in the path of the low valley, that I may be strict in the plain road!" (2 Nephi 4:32)










No comments:

Post a Comment