Sunday, August 24, 2014

Weeks 43,44,45: Sweet Mother of Mine


 It's been three weeks since I’ve written. And in those three weeks, so much has changed. In fact, I’m still trying to “wrap my head around” it all. Haven’t really had much time to just sit and gather my thoughts. Perhaps a blog entry will help. Writing has always been a source of “therapy”. So, bear with me.

Pillows we used in hospital to try to make Mom comfortable.
She was like the "Princess & the Pea!"
Here’s the short version. My mother was diagnosed with congestive heart failure a couple of months ago. Her condition was much more serious than any of us could imagine or wanted to believe. Despite many prayers and the efforts of doctors, nurses, family members, there just seemed to be one complication, one setback after another. She was so sick, so weak. Her heart was simply worn out. 

My dear mother, LuDean McCormick Wilde Walker, passed away on Sunday, August 10 at 6:30 a.m. I will be forever grateful that I was able to be with her in the days prior to her death -- a tender mercy no doubt. I am grateful to have shared some of that time with my brother and sister, Dale & Susan. Despite the circumstances, it was a special time for us. 


 She wasn’t supposed to die just yet. We had talked about moving to Kamas after our mission I wanted to be there when she needed help. I wanted to be there so some of her goodness could “rub off” on me.

This has all happened so fast, I was not prepared. I'm not ready to "grow up" and be the "matriarch" now. There is still so much I wanted to learn from and about my mother. She was the master "stain remover." She mended clothes that I couldn't. I still need help with some of her recipes. And ... whose going to clean and oil my cupboards, use a toothbrush to clean my oven, and wash the china in the cupboard? ... And who will stay up with me til 2 or 3 a.m. to do a jigsaw puzzle?  Mom I miss you so much already!

Making her award-winning Pecan Crunch 
No, I don't really understand. I have questions. But, I'm not worried. I don't need to understand right now. I also realize that I’m not in charge.  I trust God and have faith in his Son Jesus Christ. I know that no good person is ever taken before their time.  It must have been Mom’s time. She truly gave her all. She literally gave her heart in the service of others. She was like the Energizer bunny. 

I know that because of Jesus Christ, I will see my mother again. She is done with her mortal body, but her spirit lives. She is in the spirit world. She is busy. She will continue to progress. Most certainly she is serving others. One day her spirit and body will be reunited, never to die again. 

Devan, Jason, Meagan, Heather, Sam, Christopher
She lived like I want to live: "I don't want to reach the grave with a well preserved body, making it there safe, and looking good. I want to slide into the grave sideways .... with a body all used up and saying, 'Woo Hoo what a ride!" (Zig Ziglar)

Mother lived a rich, full life to the very end-- full of love and service to family, God, friends, community, and country. She has left a wonderful legacy. She wasn't one to "talk" about the gospel much. She simply lived it. She was a true disciple of Jesus Christ. I hope she can still "rub off" on me. 

Now, we “must press forward with a steadfastness in Christ, having a perfect brightness of hope, and a love of God and of all men. Wherefore, if [we] shall press forward, feasting upon the word of Christ, and endure to the end, behold, thus saith the Father:: Ye shall have eternal life.” 2 Nephi 21:20.

We are back in Tacoma now, back to our missionary assignments. But, in honor of my mother, I shall find more opportunities to serve those around me, be more kind, and make the world a better place.

Mom, you simply made the world a much better place just by serving in very simple ways. Love you forever. See you later ... Watch for Deer!





No comments:

Post a Comment